We are thrilled to announce that ThreatX has been recognized as a Visionary in the 2021 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Web Application and API Protection. This report is an important milestone for us, and we’re proud of our team’s accomplishments. We’re also grateful for our customers and partners who have helped us build such an innovative, effective WAAP solution. Finally, thank you to Gartner. We appreciate the recognition.
This report also indicates a milestone for our industry. Most notably, it marks a transition from WAFs (and even NGWAFs) to the more modern, multi-function requirements of WAAP. While WAFs have been a long-standing layer of security for many organizations, they have become increasingly outdated in recent years as organizations and their applications have faced entirely new challenges. This has included:
- The Rise of APIs: Traditional applications were typically defined by their web front-ends. Today, applications increasingly rely on APIs to provide integration and end-user functionality. While APIs provide an equal or even greater level of security risk, they have not received the same level of protection from WAFs. Once again, Gartner finds that the importance of API security continues to grow for enterprises predicting that “40% of organizations will select their WAAP provider based on advanced API protections” by 2024.
- The Shift to the Cloud: Organizations increasingly have many applications that are deployed quickly to the cloud or across hybrid environments that traditional WAF appliances were never designed for. This is driving a massive change in how organizations deploy their defenses, with Gartner predicting that “by 2024, 70% of organizations implementing multi-cloud strategies for web applications in production will favor cloud WAAP services over WAAP appliances and IaaS-native WAAP.”
- New Sophisticated Threats: WAFs were built for simpler times in which signatures and simple rules were created to address individual exploits and well-known techniques such as those found in the traditional OWASP Top 10. Today, organizations face complex, multi-stage attacks that include new sophisticated threats such as bots, Layer 7 attacks, and DDoS attacks.
The report dives into how the application security landscape continues to evolve and the new challenges and requirements that security and web application leaders will need to be prepared for. Check it out to learn more about:
- The evolution of WAAP and the key differences between WAAP services and WAAP appliance vendors.
- Key challenges facing WAAP deployments, and why the generic rules of some WAAPs can fail to protect the hundreds of applications and APIs found in many enterprises.
- Best practices and key requirements for WAAP solutions, and areas where solutions can improve going forward.
- How WAAP vendors differ in their strengths and capabilities.
ThreatX is proud to be a Visionary in this critical and rapidly evolving category. Our platform provides a purpose-built approach to WAAP and gives organizations a powerful new way to protect all their web applications and APIs — simply and reliably. As a clientless cloud and API-native solution, ThreatX ensures organizations can get up and running easily and protect any and all of their assets. Our unique, risk-based approach automatically incorporates all of the industry’s best detection techniques to deliver singular, high-confidence verdicts and automatically protect organizations from traditional threats, bots, API attacks, and DDoS attacks. And we complement our innovative technology with access to our 24×7 SOC and AppSec talent to ensure that your application security just works.
Gartner, Magic Quadrant for Web Application and API Protection, 20 September 2021, Jeremy D’Hoinne et. al.
GARTNER and Magic Quadrant are registered trademarks and service mark of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally and are used herein with permission. All rights reserved.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.